The board of Skaginn 3X has taken the decision to shut down its entire activities in Ísafjörður, with 27 staff having been given notice.
According to a statement, the company indicates that its business has been heavily affected first by the Covid pandemic, and then by the situation in Russia, both of which followed the change of ownership as Baader acquired 60% of Skaginn 3X in 2020. The remaining 40% shareholding was subsequently acquired by Baader, and Sigsteinn Grétarsson was appointed to manage the company.
‘We have made every effort, considering the operational and market conditions at the time of the acquisition have not continued. The decision has been made to bring all production together in Akranes,’ Sigsteinn Grétarsson is quoted as saying.
The closure of the Skaginn 3X branch in Ísafjörður is a blow to the local employment situation and unions have responded by criticising the decision, stating that according to staff, the operation in Ísafjörður is cost-effective, that there are substantial contracts being negotiated and that they consider this move as difficult to justify.
3X-stál was established in Ísafjörður in 1994 as a producer of high-tech systems for the seafood sector. It was subsequently absorbed in a merger with Akranes-based Skaginn to form Skaginn 3X – since acquired in 2020 by Baader.
‘This should have significantly strengthened the company, benefitting the staff, the community in the Westfjords and industry in Iceland,’ local union VerkVest stated.
‘This decision is a serious blow. These are highly specialised jobs and a great deal of expertise has been built up at this location during the company’s 29 years of operation. Now 27 staff have been informed that they will lose their jobs,’ VerkVest stated, adding that it is regrettable that the legally required consultative procedures ahead of group redundancies have not been followed.
‘This required process is intended to minimise harm to staff and the community in the case of group redundancies. In this instance staff and unions were informed of a decision that had already been taken by the company’s board.’