According to a media report the loss and damage to lobster fishing gear in southwestern Nova Scotia continues to mount. The report says that hardest hit were LFA 33 fishermen, from Sambro through to Baccaro, although LFA 34 fishermen were not spared, especially in the Cape Sable Island to Woods Harbour area.
The eye witness describe the storm as the worst they’d ever seen as rough seas kept some fishermen ashore for five days. When they did get out checking their gear it wasn’t good. South Side fisherman Rodney Ross said that they could not find 150 of traps on December 17 after tying up for the day. Of the traps they did find, most were a write-off.
A coordinated effort was underway last week between fishermen and industry reps to get spare fishing gear into the hands of fishermen that needed it. Now for winter season many LFA 33 and 34 fishermen traditionally land their gear, some LFA 33 fishermen were packing it in until spring, cutting short the first season in three years that held a faint promise of hope.